Army Records Management and Declassification Agency Training Case Study
AITHERAS was responsible for developing and providing multi-tiered, web-based interactive training modules and materials for the subject areas of Army Records Management (RM), Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and Privacy Act (PA) for the U. S. Army Records Management and Declassification Agency (RMDA).
We provided the necessary technical skills and materials required to successfully create, deliver, and facilitate development of the interactive training modules that meet each subject area’s objectives. In creating these modules, we evaluated and analyzed the requisite training requirements.
More specific requirements for each subject area are provided in the sections below.
Records Management Training
As part of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) policy entitled “Managing Government Records Directive,” all agencies are required to conduct Records Management training with employees who have Records Management responsibilities. RMDA, as the Army policy and program office for managing records, is responsible for ensuring that Records Management training is consistent with current law and policy. In support of this requirement, AITHERAS developed an overarching module that encompasses Army-wide Records Management training for all Army personnel. The module demonstrates how the Army Consolidation Records Schedule (ACRS) is used and reviews all records management roles including Records Coordinator, Records Manager, and Records Administrator.
FOIA and Privacy Training
AITHERAS developed web-based interactive training modules for Army employees who work in the capacity as FOIA/Privacy officials.
In regard to FOIA, the following topics were covered:
- Overview of the Freedom of Information Act: Provides an overview of the regulatory requirements and the process of obtaining certain records using the Army’s FOIA Privacy system.
- FOIA Specialized Course: Designed for FOIA Officers in the Army. Provides a basic introduction to FOIA processing, exemptions, redaction, fees, referrals, and other FOIA related information.
- Advanced FOIA Managerial Course: Designed for FOIA Officers in the Army. Provides in-depth training in exemptions, handling of significant FOIA requests, Army’s Freedom of Information and Case Tracking System (FACTS), and other FOIA related information.
In regard to Privacy, the following topics were covered:
- Overview of the Privacy Act: Provides an overview of the regulatory requirements, recognizing and safeguarding PII, and other Privacy related information for the user.
- Privacy Compliance Course: Designed for Privacy Officers in the Army. Provides a working introduction of PII Breach Reporting, processing of FOIA/Privacy requests, and development of Privacy Act Statements.
- Advanced Managerial Course: Designed for Privacy Officers in the Army. Provides in-depth training in SORN development, SSN reduction requirements, completing system PIAs, and other related Privacy information.
All interactive training modules for FOIA and Privacy contain accurate information in relation to current law and policies. Additionally, these modules allow Army personnel an opportunity to test their understanding of the material, including learning checks and self-tests following certain areas in the interactive training modules.